Monday 28 December 2015

Don't Follow Your Heart. . .



I have heard the cliché "Follow your heart" too many times. When you ask for advice,  they tell you to follow your heart. When you have an important decision to make, they tell you to follow your heart. We now have so many heart followers and error makers.

The Bible is clear on the state of the human heart. . .

 “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? (Jeremiah 17:9 NLT)

Your own heart is capable of deceiving you. I have been a victim of this at one time or another. Even though I am not one to advice people to 'follow their hearts', I have followed my heart before and my heart led me astray. Your heart is the seat of your emotions and emotions are not reliable to lead you in decision making. 

Some argue that you can follow your heart as long as it is circumcised. Well maybe if that heart is truly filled with God. I believe that a circumcised heart however, will seek to follow God’s instructions at all costs. That heart has God as it's focus and acknowledges God as the one at work in it. When you trust your heart to lead you, you are indirectly turning it to a god. Some people boast and say that their hearts are always right. They try to share the glory with God.

The Holy Spirit is the only one who can lead you through the right path at ALL times. He is infallible. God never makes mistakes. So, why gamble when there is someone who can sort out your issues without fail? Why take the path of chance when there is someone who is the Way and knows the way that you should follow?

Hear this-

 Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left. Then you will destroy all your silver idols and your precious gold images. You will throw them out like filthy rags, saying to them, “Good riddance!”
(Isaiah 30:21-22 NLT)

I actually started writing this particular writeup several months before now. I believe it is no mistake that I'm finally able to get it out there at this crucial time of the year.

As you step into the coming year, let God  be the shepherd of your soul.

It is time to give up your heart following and follow God sheepishly. Decide not to go anywhere except God’s presence is going with you. Decide not to take any step except the Lord says you should. Depend on God totally. Rely on His directives from this moment onwards on EVERY issue.

Let the Word of God be your guide. The Psalmist testifies thus about the Word of God -

 Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. (Psalms 119:105 NLT)

Move only at God's Word. Follow God with all your heart. Let Jesus lead you. Listen for the Holy Spirit’s voice at ALL times. . . .

~ OMOSEBI Mary Omolola
© 2015

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. . . This is very very true. I am blessed by this. May God help me to follow Him always. And God bless you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to know that this has blessed you Sayo. . . Amen! May God help us all to follow Him always

      Delete
  2. I agree with you totally on this. The human heart cannot be trusted. It is only God that can lead one on the right track. God does not need to make guesses since He is all knowing. May God increase your anointing. I am ALWAYS blessed by you writings.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. God bless you!