Thursday 29 October 2015

Let Charity Begin at Home



Who can reckon with the following fictional descriptions of myself sometimes?

Story Story. . .

° My family friend's daughter comes to our house and breaks a flower vase worth thousands of naira- I smile at her while she stands helplessly with a face saying "I am sorry ma. It was a mistake". I tell her it's okay to make mistakes and probably give her a hug to calm her down.
My daughter breaks a plate worth a hundred naira and stands trembling before the broken pieces. I snap. I yell out at her about how careless she is. I ask her to remain in the naughty corner for an hour despite all her pleas.

° My friend's mother lashes out at me unjustly. I get on my knees and beg for  her forgiveness.
My mother corrects me for what I've done wrong and I try to justify my actions. I tell her how critical she always is of me. I go on and on about how she doesn't treat me like a grown up and cunningly brush the real issue under the carpet; leaving her totally confused and startled at my reaction.

°My Pastor  calls my attention to how I talked rudely to a sister in Church. I tell Him it won't occur again and ask that he prays along with me so that I can control myself next time. Or My unit leader tells me to remain standing for coming late to a unit meeting (my lateness was because my son soiled his diaper and I had to change it before coming into the Church). I gladly take my stand till I'm asked to sit. I tender my apologies and promise not to come late next time.
My husband complains about the way I looked when answering a question he asked me (and I know that I am actually wrong because I resent the fact that he's not yielding to a particular request I have made of him) and I blow it out of proportion. I tell him he's too critical and always reads meaning to my every expression.

The End .

Let me stop here.



How many of us find it easier to be kind/nice to strangers than we are to our family members and others closest to us? We out of the largeness of our hearts quickly make excuses for our neighbours but do not take any slip from our loved ones lightly.

My simple admonition for us today is to go back home and make amends if you guilty of this kind of attitude. Be kind to your loved ones. The kindness should first be expressed to them before you go out with it. They shouldn't see you act towards strangers in an unfamiliar kind way. Mrs 'Nice-to-strangers', are you also nice at home? Don't be 'Father Christmas' outside your home and 'Osama Bin Daddy' at home.

See this- ". . .Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith. . ."(Galatians 6:10 NLT)



Make conscious efforts to be more kind to your loved ones. Kindness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit so ask The Holy Spirit to help you.

Let that charity begin from your home!

~ OMOSEBI Mary Omolola
© 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. God bless you!