Monday 16 February 2015

Check Yourself



If it be not your daily business to study your own hearts and to subdue corruption and to walk with God, if you make not this a work to which you constantly tend, all will go wrong in your ministry and you will starve your hearers. We must study as hard how to live well as to how to preach well.
Make it your daily business to study your heart and
then be demanding of your soul. I leave you with some
ways to do this. These are ways to cultivate the
growth of personal holiness in your life.
1. Know and love the
Scriptures. To know the Scriptures means that you will have to read them but more than just reading them, you will need to learn how to apply them in avenues of daily living. It will not take place with a hit and miss approach, nor will it take place with small blocks of time.
2. Pray! If your prayers are lacking a punch then find some helps along the way. Praying the offensive
Psalms, those which are pleading with God to take care of the enemies of the soul are useful (Ps. 54, 55, 61, etc.). Old hymn books are rich sources to motivate your praying.
3. Flee worldliness! We have to actively strike against any avenue that willingly attempts to cater to appetites that are not motivated by godliness and righteousness. The challenge of our culture is ever with us because there are a thousand and one avenues that the devil will use to introduce darkness into our spirit. Materials we read, recreation we participate in, and entertainment that consumes us are all ways the heart becomes hardened with darkness.
4. Have godly friends. Who we hang out with has a great impact on our spiritual lives also. It basically sets the tone for the direction of spiritual life. There are some who are toxic to our faith and there are others who are incredibly strengthening to us in our walk.
-Richard Baxter

Until next time. . .
Thanks for reading. . .

Pray with me:
Lord, set up in my bones Your fire. Let there arise in me a fire that cannot be quenched. Let your fire of revival fall on me and take over my life. Renew my strength like the eagle's. You have great joy over one sheep that strays away and returns above all the others that have not. Keep me stuck in Your arms. Let me feel Your unfailing love. Cause me to meet with You every second of my life. Rekindle Your fire in my life. Let Your love grow hot in my heart. Lord, see me through these perilous times successfully. (Amen!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. God bless you!